Grilled Eggs in Sweet Peppers
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
• 4 medium sweet peppers (any colour), about 3-1/2 to 4 inches (9 to 10 cm) tall, with stems
• 8 eggs
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded medium Cheddar cheese
• 4 tsp (20 mL) chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
• Preheat the grill to medium heat (about 350°F/180°C).
• Cut 1/2 inch (1 cm) off the stem end of each pepper. Remove seeds from top slices and seeds and membranes from bottom portion of each pepper.
• For each pepper, whisk two eggs, 1 tbsp (15 mL) cheese and 1 tsp (5 mL) parsley. Pour mixture into pepper. Sprinkle 1 tbsp (15 mL) cheese over top. Place top back on pepper.
• Carefully place peppers on the grill. Close the lid and cook until peppers are tender and egg mixture is set and slightly puffed, 25 to 30 minutes.
• Choose plump peppers with a square shape. They should sit level.
• Vary the type of cheese: try Swiss, Tex-Mex blend, feta or Parmesan.
• Add diced ham to the egg mixture.