Stuffed Mushroom Eyeballs
Author: Jackie of Vegan Yack Attack
Recipe type: Appetizer
Mmm.. Delicious eyeballs! No, no cannibalism here, just some mushrooms stuffed with a garlicky tofu ricotta!
- 18 oz. Button Mushrooms
- 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu, drained but not pressed
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- ¾ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp. Onion Powder
- ⅛ tsp. Black Pepper
- 2½ Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Julienne Cut Sun-dried Tomatoes in bag (not packed in oil)
- 1-2.5 oz. Can of Sliced Black Olives
- Rinse or brush off the mushroom caps and pull all of the stems out of them. Set aside on a baking sheet.
- Puree the tofu, garlic, lemon juice, salt, Italian seasoning, onion powder and black pepper together in a food processor until completely smooth. Scoop the mixture into a piping bag or ziploc bag with a circle tip.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Carefully, pour just a couple of drops of balsamic vinegar into each mushroom cap.
- Pipe the tofu ricotta mixture into each cap so that it creates a small mound. It will be a different amount depending on the size of your mushroom caps.
- Finely chiffonade cut the sun-dried tomato pieces and start placing them on stuffed mushrooms. You can make them more vein-like by scrunching them a bit.
- Top with one slice of olive and press it down just a touch.
- Bake the mushrooms for 10 to 15 mins. or until the caps begin to wrinkly slightly. You can serve these warm, or room temperature.
Check out more recipes at Vegan Yack Attack.com