If you’ve been exercising for your New Year’s resolution but haven’t lost a lot of weight yet, don’t get discouraged. Here are five reasons you should hit the gym that have nothing to do with losing weight . . .
1. To socialize and meet people. Not to pick people up. And obviously some people just keep their headphones on, and stare at themselves in the mirror. So . . . not them. But if you try to make friends at the gym, you probably will.
2. It gives your brain a boost. Studies have found that working out can help you focus, and improve your memory.
3. It’s good for your sex life. Partly because you’ll be in better shape, so you don’t get exhausted two minutes in. But a study last year also found that guys are less likely to suffer from performance issues if they exercise.
4. It ups your self-esteem. And that’s even before you start losing weight, because just going to the gym makes you feel like you’re actively improving yourself, which you are.
5. You’ll sleep better. Which can have positive effects on everything from your relationship to your job, and your overall mental health.
Can I add a 6th reason if you don’t mind? Exercise can help with your emotions if you’re feeling really stressed out!