15 years ago… On August 25, 2001, Aaliyah and eight others were killed in a plane crash in the Bahamas after filming the music video for the single “Rock the Boat”. She was only 22 years old.
Aaliyah has sold an estimated 24 to 32 million albums worldwide. She has been credited for helping redefine contemporary R&B, pop and hip hop….earning her the nicknames “Princess of R&B” and “Queen of Urban Pop”.
She is listed by Billboard as the tenth most successful female R&B artist of the past 25 years and 27th most successful R&B artist in history.
“Rolling Stone” put together a great article on the ‘7 Ways She Changed R&B Forever.’
1. Aaliyah was mysterious
2. Aaliyah brought the teen girl’s voice back to R&B
3. Her absence between albums only deepened her appeal
4. She made Timbaland and Missy Elliott official
5. Her voice is unlike anyone else’s
6. She’s provided pushback from the “2Pac Treatment”
7. R&B’s golden era forever has an icon
SEE FULL details to all the above in the FULL ARTICLE HERE: www.RollingStone.com
HERE’s a couple CLASSIC video’s to help you remember just HOW GREAT she was and how much she will be missed…. ENJOY